Loader
logo

How to contribute towards a translation

Started by Produno, March 07, 2022, 07:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

March 07, 2022, 07:42:49 PM Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 05:50:23 PM by Produno
Information on how you can help translate SpaceSlog

We use Github to keep track of all localisations and to allow collaboration between the files. The repos are currently set to private and i will make these public once the game has been released in some kind of capacity. If you want to help then please DM me and ensure you have a Github account so i can add you to the repo.

If you have not used Github before, then i would suggest downloading the Github desktop app https://desktop.github.com.

Although translations can be added directly to the game and will work. They should be added at compile time to take advantage of optimizations. I will pull all language files from the repo for each update of SpaceSlog.

Translating SpaceSlog

All the languages can be found in the SpaceSlog game directory>Data>Core>Language.

When adding your own language you need to name the folder with the correct locale code. A list can be found here https://docs.godotengine.org/en/latest/tutorials/i18n/locales.html#doc-locales.
You can check the English (en) language files for an example and copy paste stuff over if needed.

There are four folders containing the different types of translations needed for SpaceSlog:
  • Keys folder contents are used for menu items and labels. These are written using .csv format.
  • Generation folder contents are for names and other procedural generation text. These use .json format.
  • Strings folder contents contain various .json files containing text used by the game.
  • Anything in Injected contain translated lines for anything in the Core folders. ie, anything that can be modded.
    To translate these files you will need to add a .json file with the same name as another file from the Core folders, then ensure you add a key to the dictionary that follows the same key as the item you want to translate.
    This key should then contain a 'title' which is the name of the item and a 'description' which describes the item.

Metadata:
You will need to fill out a Language_Info.json file - again this can be taken from the English language files and just replace the current data with your own.

Note: Please ensure files are saved in UTF-8 format, otherwise it may cause errors.

Translating SpaceSlog Steam page

We still need our Steam page translating to various other languages, this helps us to advertise the game in other locales in the correct language, hopefully increasing the popularity of the game.

If you would like to assist with these translations then you can find our repo here:  https://github.com/ProdunoGamesStudios/SpaceSlog-steam-translations
There you will find information on how you can help and the languages that are still outstanding.

Thankyou for helping translate SpaceSlog.